It’s true! I have assumed a small role in the newly formulated Supper Committee which will attempt to devise an all inclusive gluttony reduction plan by Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2011. It has become abundantly clear that The Supper Committee needs to make the tough choices necessary to eat within our means, just as American families do every Thanksgiving Day in these tough economic times, and it must not shirk this responsibility. As a Supper Committee member, I’ve heard a lot of controversy regarding the “Occupy” movement, and sure, I wish they had a coherent message, but I admire their commitment to bringing attention to the fact that they will no longer stand for Wall Street’s license to steal. We all should be ticked off about the bank bailouts and absence of Justice Department prosecutions. So, I’ve carefully considered a full range of options before offering the Supper Committee’s following menu item. I hope you’ll consider sharing it with your friends and families.
12 slices of turkey bacon
(Bacon, because this is what the 99% says they aren’t bringing home)
¼ cup chopped green onions
(Onions, because you may experience some eye irritation while chopping them)
½ cup chopped roasted red peppers
(Peppers, because… well, because Lt. John Pike hosed down a line of seated protesters at UC-Davis with pepper spray. These roasted peppers, however, only rate zero on the Scoville Heat Scale whereas the pepper spray that Lt. John Pike used measures between 8,600,00 and 9,100,00 heat units.)
½ cup of Feta cheese
(Feta, because it is traditionally made by peasants from the milk of scapegoats)
1 cup of 1% milk
(1%, because it refers to the vast concentration of wealth among the top 1% of income earners compared to the other 99%.)
¾ cup gluten-free baking mix
(Gluten-free, because it is harmless)
3 eggs beaten
(I suggest using a whisk rather than a billy club)
½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
(Thyme, because it’s a wastin’)
Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels and crumble. Preheat oven to 400º and grease a 9” pie plate. Place cooked bacon, onions and peppers in pie plate and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Combine remaining ingredients in medium bowl and whisk until blended. Pour over cheese in pie plate. Bake at 400º for 30-35 minutes until set and puffed.
Serves (and protects) 4-6
Happy Thanksgiving! I am just so stinkin’ grateful for all of you!
Amy Fortunato (Boss Lady)